Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: how do I help them?
Replies: 10   Pages: 1   Last Post: May 26, 2011 4:31 AM by: jason

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 10
jason

how do I help them?
Posted: Mar 24, 2011 4:12 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

My older brother, who was 19, overdosed and died today on crystal meth. My parents can't stop crying, and I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say. I just really need him to come back. I haven't really had a brother for three years, but I miss him so much.

mayabee

Re: how do I help them?
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 11:38 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Spend time with your parents, tell them you love them, let yourselves grieve. Remember your brother as he was before meth and cherish those memories. I know this is hard.

jason

Posted: Apr 24, 2011 3:08 AM

Thanks so much. My brother was really great before meth, but I'm having a really hard time remembering him before...I hope my parents remember what it was like before and everything at least. Thank you for your kind words though, it really does help, I still miss him so much it hurts.

worriedmother

Posted: Apr 2, 2011 2:31 AM

I am so, so incredibly sorry about the loss of your brother. This is such a hard thing you and your family are going through, but just remember that you are not alone. I encourage you to keep posting, it really does help to talk to others about things like this. Tell your parents that you love them, my prayers are with you all.

jason

Posted: Apr 24, 2011 3:12 AM

It really does help to know that I'm not alone, but it sucks that other people have to go through this too. I just wish I could do something for my parents, they hardly even talk anymore...

rollercoaster

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 7:42 PM

i'm so sorry for your loss, i live every day scared that my brother will overdose, its my worst nightmare. I lost my sister (to suicide) almost 2 years ago and one thing that helped was surrounding myself with my family and close friends who knew her story! Remember you will get through it, just give yourself time to grieve and remember he loved u!

xo

jason

Posted: Apr 24, 2011 3:23 AM

Thanks so much. I'm really sorry for the loss of your sister too, losing family is the worst thing in the world. I tried talking to my parents about my brother the other day, and they didn't say anything, it feels like they just don't want to talk about him anymore, like what happened didn't really happen, and I just don't want us to forget him, because we loved him so much. But, maybe after awhile they'll feel like talking about him again. Thank you so much though, it helps to hear from people who aren't afraid to talk about it.
I really hope the best for your bro,
take care

davidsheff

Posted: May 11, 2011 12:43 PM

I've been away and just returned to read your message. I'm so so sorry. As much as our family went through, I still can't imagine how hard it is for you. Please take care of yourself. I hope you have support. Best, David Sheff

jason

Posted: May 26, 2011 4:01 AM

Thanks Mr. Sheff, it really means a lot. I gave your book to my dad to read last week, and after reading it he came up to me and gave me the biggest hug he's ever given me and actually talked about my brother a little bit. I can tell that reading your book really helped him with things. Thanks for helping my dad Mr. Sheff, it's the best thing that's happened in a while.

fatherof3

Posted: May 24, 2011 4:18 AM

I lost my son to crystal meth two years ago, and when I read your post my heart broke. I know that after losing a child parents often become quiet and seem to disregard the people who are still in their life, but I promise you that even though your parents may not want to talk about your brother now, they loved him, and they love you. It's very important to not blame them or yourself for anything that happened to your brother, just let yourself grieve right now. My thoughts are with you and your family. Take care.

jason

Posted: May 26, 2011 4:31 AM

I'm so sorry about your son, losing a child must be unbearable. I think my parents do blame themselves in a way, and I guess I just feel like I should have tried harder to help my brother, and it feels so horrible to think that if only I could have somehow convinced him to stay clean, that would have saved his life. I think about it all the time, it's driving me crazy. I miss him so much, and I really hoped he noticed how much I loved him.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.