Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: My son's addiction
Replies: 1   Pages: 1   Last Post: Mar 14, 2011 5:44 PM by: ginamac

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 1
newbeginning

My son's addiction
Posted: Mar 7, 2011 3:48 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

4 years ago yesterday, March 6,2007, I went to wake my son up for school and found he had taken a couple different types of pills. My husband and I rushed him to the hospital and this was the beginning of a life I never imagined. My son spent 6 days in the psyche ward and came home with more drugs than when he went in. Because he was 18, we did not have any answers to what was happening. To make a long story short, it got so bad in 2010. I finally came out of my denial and my husband and I gave him the ultimatum of going to rehab or living on the streets. He could no longer live with us. He chose to go to rehab. We feel we got him into one of the best rehab facilities in the area and he has relapsed once but when this happened he also got time behind the bars. He is now living in a 3/4 house and if he can stay out of trouble for one year, his record will be wiped clean. I still hold many fears. I await the day they will disappear but I don't think they ever will. I have found my faith in GOD and my family has always been close and now they are even closer.

ginamac

Re: My son's addiction
Posted: Mar 14, 2011 5:44 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

I'm so sorry to hear of your son's addiction. My son's "drug of choice" is pills also. Scary because we have found him on several occasions near death and once he had a dystonic drug reaction to some Haldol he'd taken at a party and we thought he was having some sort of stroke. Terrifying story upon story. I had an alcoholic husband and most times would have to deal with our son myself because the husband was passed out. I remember once dragging my then 17 yr old son down from his room in our 2 story house, to the car, trying to get him up into an SUV was quite a challenge, he was just like deadweight. That time was xanax and alcohol near overdose. He is in jail now for 57 more days in a drug court program that I hope and pray will save his life. all we can do is hope, pray and take care of ourselves. My son will be on 5 yrs probation when he gets out, we'll see if he stays out of trouble then. Hugs to you and I hope it works out with your son also.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.