Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: Report from High Desert Feb 28, 2011
Replies: 6   Pages: 1   Last Post: Aug 12, 2011 3:10 PM by: Indymom1

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 6
waterdance

Report from High Desert Feb 28, 2011
Posted: Mar 1, 2011 12:45 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

Hello All. Good to hear from you Winnie. Sounds like your son is doing well.

My daughter I still haven't heard from in over 6 months. Sister hasn't heard either because of money owed. Same old story.

For all the newcomers, please keep writing. It helps. Hugs to all, Deb

Winnie

Re: Report from High Desert Feb 28, 2011
Posted: Mar 3, 2011 11:00 PM

Thank you for the kind words. Winnie

waterdance

Posted: Mar 11, 2011 12:57 PM

Hello Winnie, Hello All,

Winnie, please write and let us know how everything is going.

I'm concerned about this site. It has lost so much. Start writing everyone!

Three horses came from up the road and were in my yard eating grass yesterday. My brother gave them apples and I took pictures.

Still don't hear from daughter. Through another relative I hear she's high most of the time. I no longer can think of even seeing her.

Take care, Deb

mayabee

Posted: Mar 12, 2011 12:21 PM

Seems like traffic on this site goes in cycles- some times are much busier than others- & maybe people are put off by the spam postings. Anyway, this site is important as a source of support for parents, friends of addicts.

I go to Nar-anon meetings and at my group most of the people are parents/grandparents of addicts. We have so much in common- feeling like we're going crazy ourselves at times when our kids are using, waiting for the other shoe to drop when they're not using, trying to figure out what is enabling, what is acceptable helping - it's not easy. It helps to share with others. It's depressing to realize that there are so many of us, but at the same time it's good not to feel alone.

I love being able to come to this site and the Nar-anon cafe in addition to weekly face-to-face meetings. Reaching out and admitting our family situation and accepting help is so important.

My son is very active in 12-step groups - NA, CA and CMA - and he is doing well now- got his 90 day key tag a few days ago. It is a struggle for him at times, and he will be an addict forever. That's not something that suddenly just goes away. I am also realizing that, as the parent of an addict and child of an alcoholic, my co-dependency won't just disappear either. Therefore, I am grateful to Nar-anon and to this site- keeps me on track.

ginamac

Posted: Mar 14, 2011 4:04 PM

Hi Deb, hi everyone, I went to my first alanon meeting in over 2 years, now I am "free" to go and not have the fear I used to have that my ex would blow up if he found out. My son has 57 more days of his sentence in drug court program in jail, he is doing very well, sounds positive and upbeat and says he feels very good physically and mentally, 63 days clean now. He had another friend die of heroin while he was incarcerated and I think maybe JUST MAYBE this will hit home now and make him want to stay clean when he gets out. I am enjoying the time with my new husband and my 5 month old granddaughter (from my other son) is a blessing who brings such joy to our lives.

cindykay

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 12:18 AM

Hello familiar "faces." It's good to see some I remember from way back. So many new, so few posts. This site was so beneficial way back, almost two years ago I believe. Just an update. My daughter had 1 1/2 years clean and sober and relapsed in October. Back on the heroin. I was able to let go let God and waited until I received the phone call that she called inpatient and would I take her that afternoon for her assessment. She went into detox Feb9 and has just received her 30 days. The relapse was a bad one...denial and lie after lie, but we know. The signs are all too familiar. Through it all she was able to make the Dean's list again with a 4.0. She is doing well, appears to "like" the facility and only time will tell. I really thought she was on her way forward but addiction can grab when the addict least expects it. Good to hear from you all and know some are still here. To all others....we all walk the same journey, our paths are sometimes different. Prayers tonight for all who suffer from addiction.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.