Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: Concurrent Disorders
Replies: 0   Pages: 1  

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 0
Elizabeth Locicero

Concurrent Disorders
Posted: Jan 1, 2011 10:19 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

The treatment of addiction and its connection to what we now label,mental health issues,is indisputable. Yet, finding the treatment model for concurrent disorders is like looking for a needle in a haystack. As my beautiful son replied,"Hey, maybe we need to burn down the haystack." thereby capturing the enormity of the mayhem around the search for responsible and responsive treatment.
For eight years, I have been searching for a direction, reading constantly and thinking, dreaming for new paradigms or any paradigm, which even vaguely resonates.
As an educator, I am struck by the similarities shared by these truly beautiful children of ours. Always they are articulate, funny, witty, insightful, kind-hearted, imaginative and tracing back to the parents, the mother is almost invariably one of Elaine Aron's highly sensitive people. Fathers are usually grounded and quite resilient, easy-going, happy with life. I am intrigued by this highly-sensitive trait related to concurrent disorders.
I have just heard David Sheff's talk at Berkeley and I have watched his son Nic on videos online, clearly a highly sensitive and gifted young man. I wonder if our present culture somehow has vetoed aspects of human development that are natural and truly human, making it impossible for our complex thinkers to connect to the world around them.
My search continues for eight years. I am hoping someone will read this post and recognize a parallel in their thinking, in order that I can dialogue.
We are losing our most gifted young people to this false antidote to loss of meaning and reality.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.