Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: Desparate for Advice
Replies: 4   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 16, 2010 8:11 AM by: mixnroll

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 4
DCT

Desparate for Advice
Posted: Nov 14, 2010 2:07 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

My 23 year old daughter has been addicted to drugs (oxycontin, cocaine, benzodiazapene, marijuana) for about four years. Last Wednesday I checked her into an inpatient facility for the third time. She has been treated at some very reputable and expensive facilities without success. This last time, she relapsed after only 8 weeks follwing six months of treatment. Her insurance benefits will only cover a short stay in the current rehab. I have spent over $50,000 this year alone on treatment and my resources are running dry. I am in the process of applying for medicaid for her. I cannot bring her into my home. She has been non compliant in attending out-patient treatment and I cannot keep her safe. No one in the family feels safe having her in the house. She is willing to go to treatment so I want to send her somewhere. I would be grateful for any recommendations for facilities that accept medicaid or are low cost. We live in the NY area but she can travel. Thanks so much everyone and good luck to all of you.

waterdance

Re: Desparate for Advice
Posted: Nov 14, 2010 9:00 PM

Hello DCT.....Have you looked on the net under free rehab or low cost..New York? To get medicaid you are looking at years and finally hiring a lawyer after being turned down several times. No one can live on medicaid with state suplement with food stamps. My brother gets all that but lives with my husband and myself. Otherwise he would be homeless. Look for a free rehab...keep calling. You can have her in rehab after rehab but the real truth is that she and only she will have to decide to change her life. Most do come off drugs. Most come off drugs without rehab. True fact. If she is dangerous she needs to be put in a mental hospital. Starting to accept reality will help you. Read everything you can about codependence. You can't let one child send the entire family down that hellish hole with her no matter how "sick" you think she is. I've been where you are. I've lived what you are living. I have 3 kids, one died , one still using. I talk to and see the youngest. I was the one who changed. Had to. Has your daughter ever been on her own, has she ever held a job? Wishing you peace. Deb....There are hundreds of past posts to read. They will help you.

Fatima

Posted: Nov 15, 2010 4:09 PM

Hi. Try the Walter Hoving Home in NY. It's a faith base 6 month rehab for women. I believe they have a website. Their monthly fee is very reasonable or free depending on your finances. Also, the Salvation Army Program is free and Teen Challenge (not only for teens). Please get help for yourself too. Truly there's nothing we can do for our adult children until THEY choose to get help themselves. I know well how you feel. I have 2 kids that are addicted.

Lori

Posted: Nov 15, 2010 8:49 PM

My son likewise had relapsed from the best places and our savings is gone. It's true, unless they really want this our efforts will likely be futile but since giving up on my son is probably a death sentence (I think he's suicidal) I choose to keep searching for places that might finally work as long as he is open to going.

I have him on a waiting list at Hope House, in Anaheim CA. There are 90 and 180 day programs and the cost for private pay is $1950 per month. They do not turn down anyone who cannot pay, there are county bed that are free but you may have to wait for one (treatment is exactly the same for private or county beds). The first third of the program is a total lock-down intensive theraputic experience. Hope House is approved by the CA Probabation Dept so it's standard are rigidly enforced i.e there are no drugs smuggled inside.

check this out http://www.hopehouseoc.com/

Good luck

mixnroll

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 8:11 AM

You might want to look at www.sober solutions.com

I called them when looking for a rehab for my son and they were very very helpful. They are a referral service run by recovering addicts and they had a wealth of information. Good luck.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.