Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: My Journey
Replies: 1   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 11, 2010 5:50 PM by: Fatima

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 1
awhenry

My Journey
Posted: Nov 5, 2010 1:40 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

"Happy Birthday mom!! Thank you for visiting me on Sunday and Thanks for the money I love you. Thank you for sticking by my side and not giving up on me. Im grateful to have you in my life. I appreciate everything you do for me and I promise that once im free again I will continue to turn my life around and I will make you proud one day. I find myself thinking about the people I love and even though I hurt most of them, I think about how I want to rebuild relationships and spend time with them. Since I got clean, I have a new perspective on life. I need to make amends with the ones i love. I want to put more clean time together and show everyone Im serious about my new life. I've been trying to get as spiritually fit as possible b/c it helps me better deal with my current situation and improves me as a person as well." My sister writes him a letter- about it he says "I got a letter from Joanne today. She always has something deep and meaningful to say. She gave me some good scripture. I cry every time she writes me." This is part of a letter my son writes me from jail, where he has been for six months, awaiting sentencing for theft charges to steal to get his oxy. pills. He graduated his senior class president five years ago and was addicted to Oxycotin 2 months later, in jail 4 times, rehab twice, a half-way house, and a homeless shelter for two nights. I am on the last chapter of "Beautiful Boy" and my heart aches as I read and the tears flow. How do we get over the pain, the worry? Ive started a little to deal with this grief. I have to say I have become stronger after dealing with so many heartbreaks and lies, but this time, THIS TIME! I think I see a difference. He was clean from being in a rehab and halfway house for five months and was picked up on charges for something that happened before he even went into rehab. Only GOD knows y he needed to go back. Maybe he saw a relapse coming. I don't know. But the past six months in, he has learned so much. My questions to the authur is how do you make it without God. You say you dont believe. I have to admit, I have gotten so mad at God and have not prayed to him for days thinking I can handle this on own, but I can't. I know he has to give me strenth to go on. I am anxious to read the rest of my book this weekend and I am wondering how Nic is doing these days. I truly appreciated the humor during my last chapter where Nic says to Dad "We thought we were going to lose you" Dad says: What a switch; brought out a chuckle in me. IRONIC. Well, I want you to know the book had impact on me. I see people taking the same journey, although I have to say I've not been through as much as you have, but the pain is the same! awhenry@georgejuniorrepublic.org

Fatima

Re: My Journey
Posted: Nov 11, 2010 5:50 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

Hi, just wanted to share with you that my relationship with God is what keeps me sane and hopeful. I don't think I could survive the pain, sorrow and despair my husband and I have been going though for almost 10 years with my son age 31 and now my 19 year old daughter without my Lord. I'm learning to trust in God and letting Him take over. It's a painful journey.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.