Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: New
Replies: 2   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 5, 2010 1:47 PM by: awhenry

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 2
Brent in Portland

New
Posted: Nov 1, 2010 1:00 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

I am new to this forum. I have read both Beautiful Boy and Tweak....what a journey of learning and discovery.
My son, turning 20 in two weeks, has been battling an addiction to marijuana and most recently, oxycontin. He has been in and out of treatment 5 times in the past eight months.
I am hopeful at this stage as he has moved off to college, but I just wait for the next episode.
His mother died three years ago, committing suicide after a six year battle with prescription medication, bulimia and depression. After several attempts, she succeeded in taking her life, the children at age 13 and 16. My daughter has adapted well, going through therapy even before her mom passes away. My son, on the other hand, has never dealt with his moms death and turned to drugs to mask the emotions. First it was marijuana, then escalated to oxycontin, a deadly and devastating prescription similar to heroine.
His grandmother (his moms mother) constantly enables him, giving him money, even paying off drug dealers to keep him out of trouble.
These two nooks have been a godsend to me...I have not read a book since college, some twenty years ago. I have found, hope and fear in reading both books. I want to help my son, yet know I can't help him unless he helps himself. I am hopeful he will get engaged in college, but worry that with just two months sobriety, I will be going down the road Nic and His family have gone through.
I look forward to learning more from those who understand this chaos we endure.
David and Nic - thank you so much for helping me understand I'm not alone in this journey.

Worried Dad in Portland.

Lori

Re: New
Posted: Nov 1, 2010 3:03 PM

You've had a tough journey, so sorry for the loss of your wife and the difficulties you face with your son. None of us know when or if our addict children will turn the corner and we can only pray for the best, and take one day at a time. I have always hoped that the right situation (college, girlfriend, new environment) would influence a change or provide the right motivation for my son, but so far he still wants everything, including sobriety, on his own reckless terms. Although peace of mind still eludes me, I have a fragile hope and I cling to that.
Glad you found us, there is much support and understanding here, hope you find strength and courage, this is a horrible battle but you are not alone.

awhenry

Re: New
Posted: Nov 5, 2010 1:47 PM

Please ready my post "My Journey" posted today. I have a son addicted to Oxy. I feel your pain. So hard when you have someone who enables. I love my son with all and everything in side of me, so bad it hurts, but I had him arrested once and handcuffed in my living room. Hardest thing I've ever ever done. The journey is hard! Im with you. Please if you ever need to vent im here.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.