Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: mental problems
Replies: 5   Pages: 1   Last Post: Oct 13, 2010 4:56 PM by: Ann

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5
Bethsmom

mental problems
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 9:35 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

Beth was in a 30 day program and from there went to an extended treatment, inpatient. She became mentally unstable and now is in a mental facility. It it hard getting her regulated on the right meds. She wants to go back to the treatment program because she feels so stressed there. I have to let the people there decide what is best. She is 500 miles from home. Some days she sounds good on the phone, others she is confused. It seems like everytime she relapses with drugs, her mental problems get worse. I feel so frustrated not being able to see her.

waterdance

Re: mental problems
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 1:38 PM

Dear Bethsmom, So sorry to hear about your daughter. Drugs do make them unstable. My daughter Stella is extemely unstable now and has been for some time. She has lucid moments. Once when the family was in a hotel room she got up with only a pajama top on and was walking down the hallway. I happened to wake up and saw her go out the door. How she is now I don't know as we haven't seen each other for over 4 years. Bethsmom, I'm so much further down the line than you. I can tell you this, start finding yourself once more. Read the co-depentent books over and over. There's much you can't change. The rest of your family needs you. Sounds hard I know but I speak from heartbreaking experience.Love to you, Deb

Bethsmom

Posted: Oct 6, 2010 6:36 PM

Thanks Deb, you are very wise. Your experiences have been horrific. I hope your back is feeling better and you are getting your treatments.

faith2010

Posted: Oct 11, 2010 12:52 PM

I've never done this.but i don't fell alone anymore .
I just read tweak and now i'm going buy beautiful boy for every one in my family.the book let me understand my husband whom we met in the military seen him in this book and myself.Im older than he is but never done drugs he was diagnosed with dual mental disorders and had a troubled childhood.but I never set boundaries in our relationship feeling guilty but I'm so happy to see I'm not alone.Ive been going through this hell for 5 years I don't know what to do.

Ann

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 4:52 PM

Hi Faith, no you're not alone for sure! The blessing of this site that David Sheff created is that we can come here and realize that we are never alone.
Sometimes it's easier to talk to people who don't know us, because it can be so easy for people to judge us because of our loved ones who are alcoholics or addicts. They have never walked this horrific road and I pray they never have to either.
Please continue to come and share, there are so many wonderful people here who care. Also, please try to take care of yourself, I know it's hard, but do your best.
Thinking of you,
Ann

Ann

Posted: Oct 13, 2010 4:56 PM

Bethsmom, I so understand what you are feeling. The more damage they do to their bodies and minds, the more their thinking gets cloudy.
I have been through episodes with my son that were terrifying and then a day or so later his mind was clear.
Just wanted you to know that I care and am thinking of you,
Ann

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.