Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: Ian's Story
Replies: 1   Pages: 1   Last Post: Oct 3, 2010 3:08 PM by: Ann

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 1
Petra Jace

Ian's Story
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 9:14 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

I have just finished reading Beautiful Boy. This morning my 16 year old son sit in juvenille jail. He is at least safe..he cannot run away & he cannot access any drugs or alcohol For 3 weeks we don't have to worry about each time the phone or doorbell rings that it is the police, telling us our son has been found dead of an overdose. Ian does not have a drug of choice. He will take anything he can get his hands on to get high.We also have this 3 weeks to hopefully get him into an in-patient treatment center..there are waiting lists.These stories on this forum help us to feel we are not alone. we will continue to fight to get our son into treatment

Ann

Re: Ian's Story
Posted: Oct 3, 2010 3:08 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

Hi there, I am so sorry for your heartache, we all know it all too well. You are not alone, even though you will probably feel alone much of the time. I am so thankful you came here to share. Please come back.
I understand what you mean by no "one" drug of choice. Many times the only drug of choice is "more" of anything at all, as long as it numbs them.
Your son is young and that could be a plus. I wish I had the answers, but none of us truly do. My only advice would be to take a strong stand and I do mean strong now, before it gets harder. Now he is still a minor and there are more options for you.
There is hope, always. The bottom line is that it is up to them. There is no amount of money that will do the trick. Seems like they either hit bottom and wake up and decide to live or they don't.
My hope and prayer is that Ian will decide to live.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, please keep coming back. We come and go here depending on our current situations, but we do come back, so keep coming, There are wonderful people here from all walks of life that care.
Stay strong my dear,
Ann

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.