Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » Alan Lee discusses The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook and J.R.R. Tolkien

Topic: ROTK credit sketches
Replies: 1   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 11, 2005 11:04 AM by: moderator

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 1
ceefour

ROTK credit sketches
Posted: Nov 8, 2005 8:44 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

What did you see in the expressions on the actors' faces that epitomized the characters for you?

I'm hoping someday the credit sketches will be published in a larger form than was seen in "The Art of The LOTR" book.

Thanks for coming to Philadelphia. My friends and I greatly enjoyed your presentation.

Re: ROTK credit sketches
Posted: Nov 11, 2005 11:04 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

At every stop on my tour someone has asked if there is going to be a book or portfolio containing those drawings of the cast that were done for the credits of “The Return of the King”. It would be a nice thing to do; it would be a great memento for the cast as well, but I would probably want to do a little more work on a couple of them first. The process for doing the drawings started with finding a selection of stills from the movie that showed the characters being … well, how they would probably wish to be remembered. There really aren’t that many frames when they are still, and not talking or doing something very dramatic, so there is not a huge amount of choice, and Hannah Bianchini, the VFX art department coordinator, would show those to Fran Walsh for a final pick, and I would copy them as closely as possible in pencil. In the final images, traces of those photographic stills would be retained and blended, very faintly, into the drawings. The eyes in particular benefited from this. The final sequence was put together by Jean-Paul Leonard, the brilliant designer who created the menus and chapter headings for the extended edition DVD’s.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.