Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » Alan Lee discusses The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook and J.R.R. Tolkien

Topic: Focused creativity
Replies: 1   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 11, 2005 11:02 AM by: moderator

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 1
storyteller1

Focused creativity
Posted: Nov 8, 2005 12:58 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

I couldnt help but notice in some of your composite sketches and character studies that stray thoughts and drawings seemed to be sneaking in around the edges. I wonder if it was difficult for you, with all the exciting things still to be worked on, to stay focused and finish one thing before starting on the next, or did you just juggle it all and sketch whatever and wherever your hand took you?

Re: Focused creativity
Posted: Nov 11, 2005 11:01 AM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

Ill always have stray thoughts and drawings sneaking in around the edges. My school exercise books were the same Id invariably get distracted and start doodling around the edges of a page of maths. It is just that when I have a pencil or pen in my hand Ill almost unconsciously start producing all these varieties of odd little life-forms. They will usually be influenced by what I have just been thinking about so there will be orcish creatures, or bits of elf proliferating in the corners of many, if not most, of my drawings. I got it under control to a certain extent when working on the movies there was just so much to do but, since there were many different things that I needed to be working on at any one time, you would often find designs for different props, different cultures and artifacts, all fighting for space on the same sheet of paper.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.