Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Home » Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: My Beautiful Boy
Replies: 1   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 4, 2010 9:09 PM by: JLP2

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 1
Mac

My Beautiful Boy
Posted: Nov 3, 2010 10:05 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

Hey all. I'm new here, and come asking just for thoughts and prayers for several things and people.
About three weeks ago, my family was dealt a devestating blow by the suicide of a very close family friend, Jon. He was nineteen. I was blessed enough to come into this world with not only my biological older sister, but also an older brother "by choice." Jon's been a constant source of joy and happiness for my family ever since we met him when he was just over a year old, and knowing that he's gone has hit us all really hard. Jon struggled with bipolar disorder, depression (among other mental and psychological issues), and self-harm for most of his life, and the past few years have probably been the hardest. He got wrapped up with some bad people and while I don't think he ever did drugs himself, was around them quite a bit and found himself in some of the situations Nic Sheff described in "Tweak." Jon's suicide really came as a shock, because during the few months prior to it, Jon had a stay in a mental facility and then moved on to work a horse rescue ranch for the last seven weeks of his life. There were no indications that he was going to kill himself; not even a week before he was asking when my family when he could come up to spend the night at our house, and those who saw him the day before he took his life said he was happy and acting perfectly normal.
The sheer shock has really gotten to me, and I feel like it hasn't even passed yet. I'm scared what I'll feel when the moment where I realize I won't see him again hits. If you would keep myself and my family, and also Jon's family and friends (specifially a man named David, whom Jon worked with at the ranch and who found Jon after he has taken his life) in your prayers, that would be so helpful. We all need them.
Another family friend of ours has a son, Jordan (who is in his early twenties) who's suffering from meth addiction. His addiction came to light around Easter of this year, and he was using for a good amount of time before then. He went into treatment over the summer and did pretty well for a while before falling back into a sporadic pattern of addiciton. This past week, Jordan received a lump sum from social security (he's considered disabled, as he's suffering from addiction and bipolar disorder), packed his bag, and moved out of the house. They don't know where he is or where he's going. I'm not particularly close with Jordan, but I saw him recently and can't help but worry about him. The needle marks on his arm scared me so much, and it scares me even more to think about him on the streets, hanging around with drug dealers and other addicts, toting around a large amount of money and spending it all on drugs. Please keep Jordan and his family in your prayers, because they all really need them. I don't want to go to another funeral or a memorial service, not so soon after Jon.

Thanks everyone. Happy Wednesday to all of you.

-Mac

JLP2

Re: My Beautiful Boy
Posted: Nov 4, 2010 9:09 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

Mac, Welcome to this forum, I hope you find it as helpful as we all have. I am so sorry for your loss and I pray for the peace and comfort that you ask for. My son suffers from bi-polar disorder too and also OCD and anxiety. It did lead to drug use and shame for him and he wanted to end his life many times. We are fortunate to have him with us and doing well presently. I hope you get the help you might need to work through your grief. You and all the others you shared about are in my prayers.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.