Houghton Mifflin Trade and Reference DivisionHoughton MifflinHoughton Mifflin Trade and Reference Division
Houghton Mifflin Discussion Forums
Forum Home | Login | Create Account | FAQ | Search

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Discussion Forums » BEAUTIFUL BOY FORUM: Share Your Stories

Topic: My 17 Year Old Son is a Heroin Addict
Replies: 9   Pages: 1   Last Post: Sep 14, 2010 11:29 AM by: AZDAD

Reply to this Topic Reply to this Topic
Search Forum Search Forum

Go Back Back to Topic List
Replies: 9
AZDAD

My 17 Year Old Son is a Heroin Addict
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 1:53 PM
  Click to reply to this topic Reply

My 17 year old Son is a Heroin Addict. He got arrested the second day of school shooting up in the High school Bathroom. He is already on probation, so now we are waiting on a court date next week for his probation violation. He just got out of a three month rehab in July, and it will not stop. The sad thing is, I spent every cent I had on the last rehab and now I am hoping and praying the judge and his probation officer will put him into a court ordered rehab...or even Juvy to get him clean and save his life. Everything in "Beautiful Boy" I can relate to and has happened to me. It could be the story of my son. This book has been given me the peace and strength I need knowing that I am not the only one that has suffered through this horrible disease. I love my beautiful boy..please pray for him.

JLP2

Re: My 17 Year Old Son is a Heroin Addict
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 7:07 PM

I'll pray for him and you. Take care of yourself.

waterdance

Posted: Sep 2, 2010 9:38 PM

Hello AZDAD...You and your son are on my mind tonight. I lost my son John to drugs in 2005 and now have a daughter addicted to meth. I don't know the answers for any of us.Whatever books you can find on the dangers of drugs buy and have your son read them. Please keep writing and reading on this forum. Hugs to you, Deb

Fatima

Posted: Sep 3, 2010 12:22 PM

Hello, I too have there with my oldest son and now my youngest daughter. Stay strong and let the authorities impose treatment. Your boy is very young and can turn his life around. Take care of yourself and continue to pray, I will join you, for all our addicted children.

mayabee

Posted: Sep 4, 2010 9:28 PM

So sorry. Know this is incredibly hard. Will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

AZDAD

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 11:07 AM

Just got back on the Computer, back in the office for a few hours until I go and watch my son for the rest of the day before the Thursday court date. It is hard trying to keep a job and my Son sober. I just wanted to thank everyone for the words of encouragement. They mean so much to me!!

Indymom1

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 12:31 PM

You are in my prayers. This book hits home with so many parents. Don't be afraid to tell the judge and prosecutor that your son needs rehab. When our daughter tuned 18 and was considered an "adult" we had her arrested for using my debit card for 10.00 to get cigarettes. I sent a letter to the judge of why I had her arrested and she was sent to rehab for 90 days and no is in the drug court program for a year. She has been clean since January 15th.Don't be afraid to speak up. Your sons life depends on it.

AZDAD

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 10:52 AM

Thank you for the advice. Absolutely that is going to be the whole purpose behind the court date tomorrow. I have already spoken to my sons probation officer and she is fully aware of his addiction problems and without a doubt I am going to talk to the judge about rehab. The court date tomorrow will be a full range of emotions. Sadness, Anger, Hope, Relief.

waterdance

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 1:08 PM

Good Morning AZDAD....Do you live in Arizona as I do? Anyway I hope your son is put in court-appointed rehab. Let us know. Then get busy and start getting your wife's and your own life on the way to healing. It is difficult. I'm still having a battle finding my own life again but I've come a long way from starring at the walls, crying, obsessing and feeling I didn't have a life. This takes work, lots of thinking, lots of reading. No matter what happens to your son you must find spiritual strength and see the richness you already have in spite of an addicted son. Hopefully he will come out of drug addiction (most do... believe it or not) BUT you need to find your own life again no matter what happens. Hugs to you , Deb

AZDAD

Posted: Sep 14, 2010 11:29 AM

Thanks Deb!
Yes....I am in wonderful AZ...so ready to get out! In the Phoenix area. Well we did have court last Thursday..and the worst possible outcome happened. The judge basicly said get him help and released him back to me and his mother (divorced). So we are back to square one..trying to find a program for him that is inexpensive since we have spent our life savings on his first rehab. Very frustrating. Basicly my days consist of trying to work..and then going to babysit him to prevent another relapse. He has been clean for the last few weeks. I am exhausted. Just drained. And then it is so much fun dealing with judgement and condemnation from my family. Anyhow...I keep telling myself I did not cause it, I cannot control it, and I cannot cure it.

Home | FAQ | Site Map
Privacy Policy | Trademark Information | Terms and Conditions of Use
Copyright © 2005 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.