Lesson Plans for Secondary School Educators
1. Name two of the three physical attributes that, in Gandalf's opinion, should make Bilbo an ideal member of the quest team.
(Answer: Bilbo can fit through a hole too small for a dwarf; hobbits are quieter than anyone else; the dragon has never smelled a hobbit.)
2. What is the Last Homely House?
(Answer: the home of Elrond and the Elves in Rivendell.)
3. Name two kinds of unnatural creatures that menace Bilbo and the dwarves.
(Answer: trolls, goblins, spiders, wargs, dragons.)
4. What happened to William, Tom, and Bert when the sun came up?
(Answer: They turned to stone.)
5. What is particularly unusual about Beorn?
(Answer: He can change into a bear.)
6. Who was Durin?
(Answer: In Thorin's words, "He was the father of the fathers of the eldest race of Dwarves, the Longbeards, and my first ancestor: I am his heir.")
7. What was the "false riddle" that Bilbo used to stump Gollum?
(Answer: "What have I got in my pocket?")
Unit Two Content
Comments for Teachers