Lesson Plans for Secondary School Educators
Unit Five: "The Tides of Fate Are Flowing"
1. In which part of Rivendell did Frodo hear Bilbo recite poetry?
(Answer: the Hall of Fire, page 224)
2. To whom did Gandalf say, "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom"?
(Answer: Saruman, page 252)
3. What did Aragorn call "a pretty hobbit-skin to wrap an elven-princeling in"?
(Answer: Frodo's mail-coat of mithril, page 327)
4. In Lothlórien can be found the elanor. What is it?
(Answer: a small golden flower, page 341)
5. Who seemed to Frodo "present and yet remote, a living vision of that which has already been left far behind by the flowing streams of Time"?
(Answer: Galadriel, page 364)
6. Just before the breaking of the fellowship, who asked Frodo to "lend him" the Ring?
(Answer: Boromir, page 390)
Unit Five Content
Comments for Teachers