Lesson Plans for Secondary School Educators
Unit Eight: War and Peace in Middle-earth
1. What do the mountains Amon Dîn, Eilenach, Nardol, Erelas, Min-Rimmon, Calenhad, and the Halifirien have in common?
(Answer: The beacons of Gondor are lit upon them, page 731)
2. What sorts of beings did Aragorn summon to the Stone of Erech?
(Answer: the Dead, page 770)
3. Who chided Denethor for being concerned only for the welfare of Gondor, while he himself pitied even Sauron's slaves?
(Answer: Gandalf, page 795)
4. Name three important characters who go to the Houses of Healing after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
(Answer: Faramir, Éowyn, and Merry, page 842)
5. Which of Sauron's human servants was "more cruel than any orc"?
(Answer: the Mouth of Sauron, lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr, page 870)
Unit Eight Content
Comments for Teachers