"A new thesaurus that is good and helpful and up-to-date and much needed is the American Heritage College Thesaurus . . . Thesauri open new semantic worlds to wordnerds. Let us stop worrying about the meaning of life and start enjoying the life of meaning." William Safire, New York Times Magazine
Are you game?
The editors of the American Heritage College Thesaurus have provided some provocative puzzlers to test your synonymy skills and idiom intellect.
Wordnerds, consider yourself challenged.
1. Name three synonyms of "trivial" beginning with the letter p. Answer
2. Name three synonyms of "ill-tempered" that begin with the letter c. Answer
3. Name five synonyms of "various" that also have an s in them. Answer
4. Identify idioms meaning "criticize someone harshly" that have a body part in them. Answer
5. Identify idioms meaning "criticize someone harshly" that have to do with heat. Answer
6. Name three idioms meaning "become angry" that use the word blow. Answer
7. Name three other words ending in -ism that are synonyms of egotism. Answer
8. Name three more synonyms of "egotism" beginning with self-. Answer
9. Name three words beginning with un- that mean "resolute, determined." Answer
10. Name as many synonyms as you can for "dullard" that end with the word -head or a related word. Answer
11. Name three animal words that mean "a person who is easily deceived." Answer