The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
is a remarkable resource that explains everything you need to know about science: from the fundamentals of chemistry to the latest discoveries in the fields of biology and physics. Clearly written and richly illustrated, the dictionary includes 8,500 entries in all areas of science. Instructive tables, handy charts, and explanatory notes make important scientific concepts easy to understand. The editors of The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
have developed a challenging quiz. How does your scientific knowledge rate?
1. Einstein's theory of GENERAL RELATIVITY extended the theory of Special Relativity to account for objects:
a. undergoing acceleration
b. traveling faster than the speed of light
c. experiencing time at a slower rate than other bodies
d. traveling in a straight line
2. A WAFFLE IRON is:
a. an electrical device
b. an electronic device
c. both a and b
d. neither a nor b
3. The ENGINES of commercial jet airliners are called:
d. ram jets
4. Which of the following do NOT contain DNA?
5. All subatomic particles have a corresponding antiparticle. What is the ANTIPARTICLE of the photon?
a. a photino
b. the photon
c. a muon
d. a neutrino
6. In 1934, Wolfgang Pauli proposed the existence of an extremely light particle, which was detected 25 years later. What is the name of this PARTICLE?
7. An EXTREMOPHILE is:
a. a bird that makes its nest in extremely remote locations, such as mountaintops or isolated islands, in order to avoid predators.
b. any organism that can thrive under conditions that most other organisms would find intolerable, such as very high temperatures or high acidity.
c. any animal that seeks to maximize the amount of territory it controls, especially by excluding all species that compete with it directly.
d. any plant species whose flowers are pollinated by extremely complicated means. For example, orchids that glue packets of pollen on the backs of wasps that try to mate with the orchids' wasp-shaped flowers.
8. PHOTOSYNTHESIS occurs in which structure within a plant cell?
9. The CELL STRUCTURES in all cells except bacteria that create chemical energy for use in cellular processes are called:
10. Which SCIENTIST demonstrated that alternating current could be transmitted efficiently at high voltages over long distances?
a. Michael Faraday
b. Casimir Funkv
c. Thomas Edison
d. Nikola Tesla
11. The process of changing directly from a SOLID into a GAS without passing through a liquid phase is called:
12. A PHYSIOLOGICAL REACTION in response to stress characterized by an increase in heart rate and blood pressure and redistribution of blood to the muscles is called:
c. fight-or-flight response
13. HYPERTENSION refers to abnormally high:
b. blood pressure
c. thyroid function
d. energy levels
14. The scientific work of ROSALIND FRANKLIN was critical to the discovery of the structure of:
15. All of these structures can be found in the SKIN except:
b. sensory receptors
16. The infectious disease MALARIA is caused by a: